[TowerTalk] Question on Multiple Inverted L Antennas

hasan schiers schiers at netins.net
Thu Jul 13 15:54:13 EDT 2006

I have an 80m inverted L up and running very nicely with 26 x 60' radials.
I'm thinking about adding 40m. My support for the 80m L is at 46' on a
pulley connected to a cross-boom 5' out from my tower. It works VERY, VERY
well.  I'm going to put in another 24 radials, for a total of 50. Seems a
bit wasteful not to get double duty if I can.

I am happy to use a tuner in the to match the variations in VSWR (as long as
they are reasonable). Right now my feedpoint Z is 29 ohms (at the feedpoint)
on my 80m inverted L (at resonance). I feed it directly (no matching at the
base) via my LDG AT-1000 autotuner.

The simplest approach would be the two-wire, one feedline..although I
haven't figured out how to do the 33' wire for 40m in terms of keeping it
separated from my 80m L without having the wind blow it and wrap it around
the 80m L.

Another method involves feeding the 80m on 40m as a half-wave vertical, and
simply switching in a parallel resonant circuit (identical to the base feed
of a Bobtail Curtain or Half-Square). This, of course, involves a remote RF
switch and then making the matching network. In this case the high-Z feed is
desirable, and not a disadvantage at all. (I've done this before for a 40m
half-square and got the article published in ham radio magazine)

The simplest is still the single added wire...if I can figure out the
mechanical problem of how to "spread" and "attach" it to the 80m wire so it
won't "foul".

Ideas anyone?

73,

...hasan, N0AN