[TowerTalk] Rebar cages

Nick Pair daweezil2003 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 15 16:34:15 EDT 2006

Having poured and supervised well over a thousand street light and traffic standards up to 100 feet high in every soil imaginable I have come up with a few shortcuts that still satisfy the local and federal contract requirements.
  The bolts for the structures were always in templates either of wood or metal. These were held over holes and in place with 2x6's on edge, nailed to stakes 2 feet back from hole. The rebar cages were then suspended from the bolts by crossbars wired to cage and to just above J section of bolt. That way only the galvanized bolt protruded from concrete pour.(sometimes on cheaper commercial bases the bolts were just galvanized on the last 6 inches or even left bare iron)(galvanized bolts require a nut sized to allow for the thickness of zinc over nominal thread size. To not do so is a exercise in frustration) On the very largest bolt and rebar cages we had to use 4x6 lumber or more 2x6's where there was a large circle of bolts for the big diameter monopoles now used for some cell towers. From a safety stand point this eliminates getting down in hole which is just asking for trouble on any hole over 3 feet deep according to OSHA.  I can't wait till some new technology
 supersedes cell phone and all these towers become surplus.:-) 2 1/2 inch bolts are not uncommon on the big boys and a lot of fun to tighten.

  Nick
  WB7PEK