[TowerTalk] Birds on Antennas

KA9OFM John Garrett ka9ofm at gmail.com
Wed Jul 26 10:38:50 EDT 2006

This has been my solution and it has worked very well for the past years.

For each tube of your antenna take 2 pieces of PVC pipe that is just a
little undersized for your antenna tube size. Each piece should be about 5
inches long. Cut the PVC open longways. This will allow you to slip it over
your antenna tube and allow you to use a hose clamp to secure it in place..

Next, cut about 2.5 inches (longways) of the pipe away so you can bend up
the top piece of the PVC pipe. What you want is something that will allow
you to stand it off and above your antenna tube at least 2 inches.

Drill a small hole in the end that is sticking up that is at least 2 inches
above your antenna tubing. Slip these 2 pieces of PVC on the antenna tube it
is made for and lock in place using stainless hose clamps.

Attach a piece of 50 lbs test fishing line between the 2 pieces of PVC and
make certain that it is tight across and centered on the top of the antenna
tubing.

Do this for each antenna tube of your antenna until you have this small line
above each part.

What this does is keeps the birds from being able to land on the antenna.

If you are having a problem with real large birds you may want to increase
the distance from the antenna tube, but do not use fishing line such as
steel leaders or it may effect your antenna.

I have a lot of hawks around here and this has seemed to work. If the bids
get a little caught in the line they are still able to drop away too.

Hope this helps in your situation.

John. KA9OFM