[TowerTalk] 80' tower in SF Bay area (update)

KA9OFM John Garrett ka9ofm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 11:24:08 EDT 2006

Why Use Forms? A lot of people ask that question but I can tell you why I
use them when I pour a tower base. The Earth sucks the moisture from the
concrete and causes it to have weak spots becase it didn't dry evenly. If
you use forms the concrete drys slowly as it should and you won't end up
with cracks later on, or at least you lower the possibility of having cracks
later on. This is provided that you have a good reinforcement inside the
concrete.

Drying time should be at leat 2 days but I always give a tower base 1 week
before I put anything up. The thickness of a base will take longer for the
center to dry so the extra time is ample to assure that you don't start
forming cracks somewhere in your new base.

John, KA9OFM