[TowerTalk] concrete forms

Tom Anderson WW5L at gte.net
Mon Jul 31 15:45:02 EDT 2006

When I put in the 4x4x6 base for my TriEx WT51 crank up back in 1993 I
used commerically obtained "six sack" concrete ReadyMix which was
supposedly the same specs for interstate highway overpasses. The truck
mixed it out in front of my house and they pumped it to the back yard.
 I let mine cure for nearly two months and since we poured it in the
summer I sprinkled the top several times a day very lightly with a water
mist. It had "hardened" by the next day in the Texas heat, but I let it
cure way past the normal specs just to add a safety margin.

The area where I live is permeated with underground springs just under
the surface a couple feet or more so I didn't worry too much about the
concrete at the bottom of the hole curing too fast.  The first hole I
had dug filled with 6 feet of water over night, so when we redid a new
hole a few feet over we dug it and poured concrete all the same day.

The only place I used concrete forms was to form the 4x4x1 foot  top
that elevated the tower base just above ground level.

Tom, WW5L