[TowerTalk] Ground Windows

Gary Schafer garyschafer at comcast.net
Mon Jul 31 18:59:30 EDT 2006

So as not to confuse anyone about "single point ground systems" it is
important to understand that it is a common point that all equipment, power,
antenna leads, phone lines etc. are bonded at.
While all grounds (and many of them) should all be tied to each other, the
equipment should only be connected to the ground system at one point and one
point only (the single point ground).

The power must have the protection devices at the single point ground. The
antenna system must have its protection devices at the single point ground.
The equipment is only fed from devices attached to the single point ground.

If the power comes into the opposite side of the house from where the
antenna lines come in, the easiest way to handle that is to run a power
cable to the single point ground panel. The power protection devices would
mount on that panel along with the coax protection devices. The panel is
tied to the ground system by a very short wide ground strap. If telephone
lines go to the same equipment they would have protectors mounted to the
same panel.
Nothing goes to the equipment without first going to the single  point
ground panel.  That is a single point ground.

As far as low resistance ground connections go, it is indeed important.
While low inductance of leads is important it is also important to remember
that even a fraction of an ohm in ground lead connections can allow very
high voltage differences across a poor connection. This is why we cadweld
the ground connections

Shunt mode surge protectors need to be placed at the single point ground
panel to insure everything there goes to the same potential during a strike.

73
Gary  K4FMX