[TowerTalk] Liberal Arts Question on Dipole Antennas

ersmar at comcast.net ersmar at comcast.net
Thu Jun 1 11:06:01 EDT 2006

Lee:

     I have a couple of suggestions for you to try.  I'm assuming you are using an antenna analyzer to check SWR.  If you are using your rig's SWR meter, that will change some fof the tests I suggest, but I'll let you know which ones.  You will also have to climb the tower a few times to conduct these tests.

1.   Climb the tower and drop the 80M dipole.  Then measure the SWR on the 40M dipole.  If it's different from before (better or worse), then you know you have some kind of interaction between the two wire antennas.

2.   If you see no difference in SWR on the 40M dipole, climb the tower again, this time with a 1W 50 Ohm resistor connected to two small alligator clips.  Remove the coax from the Budwig connector and connect the 50 Ohm dummy load across the coax.  Go down the tower and measure the SWR with your analyzer across the entire HF spectrum.  You should see 50 Ohms plus a small amount of reactance across most of the HF spectrum.  Things might get flakey up at ten meters.  YOU CANNOT DO THIS TEST WITH YOUR RIG AND A 1W RESISTOR.  If you see 50 Ohms with the above test, your coax is ok; if not, it's not.

3.   You didn't say how close to the bracket you have the Budwig connector.  If it's tight up against the metallic bracket, you might try lowering it a bit on a rope about two feet long.  This will put a bit more distance between the antenna feedpoint and the tower.  Easy to do and doesn't co$t much.

4.   If there is no interaction with the 80M wire and your coax tests ok, then I believe your antenna is OK.  You might want to put this antenna on the opposite side of the tower, where the 80M dipole was, and string out the wires flat, like the 80M set.  This will raise the effective height of your (now horizontal) dipole to 45 feet, a bit better than the average height of your Vee - about 32.5 feet (average of 45 and 20 feet.)

     With the 40M VEE at an average height of 32.5 feet, you have a high-angle radiating antenna - an NVIS (Near Vertical Incidence Skywave) antenna.  Your signal will shoot almost straight up into the ionosphere and splash down to earth within a few hundred miles around you.  Your signals in that area will be loud and clear.  But DX won't even know you're around.

     Bringing the ends of the wire up to more horizontal, and at a higher elevation above earth, you will bring the main lobe of your dipole pattern down a bit, shooting more signal off toward the horizon than directly skyward.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F

From: Lee Buller <k0wa at swbell.net>