[TowerTalk] Ground resistance

Roger D Johnson n1rj at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 8 12:36:45 EDT 2006

Stone, Gary R. wrote:
> Greetings,
>

> I imagine I have missed the obvious but my question is how do you
> measure ground resistance?  Does it take a special meter (I suspect it
> does).  I am writing this in reference to ground rods and grounding of
> towers.
>

> Thanks,
>

> Gary, N5PHT

This is one of these questions that comes up periodically for which
there is no simple answer. First, what do you mean by "ground
resistance"? Electricians and power companies are mainly interested
in a measurement at 60 Hz. Hams with vertical antennas are interested
in the resistance at the frequency of operation. Folks interested in
lightning protection have a foot in both camps as lightning has a
large RF component.

73, Roger

--
Remember the USS Liberty (AGTR-5)