[TowerTalk] Mast for rotator at bottom of tower?

Bill Turner dezrat at copper.net
Mon Jun 12 11:54:43 EDT 2006

I'm thinking of moving my rotator to the bottom of my 80-foot Trylon
freestanding tower. I have read the archives about doing so, but am
still not clear on what is a suitable mast. I could use some advice.

I have a Cubex four element quad and a Yaesu G-1000DXA rotator. The
rotator is rated for a vertical load of 400 kg, and will be mounted
on the ground, not on the mast. At present I do not have any thrust
bearings installed and it would seem none would be needed unless I
use a really heavy mast material.

Questions:

1. What would be a good mast material? Aluminum tubing? Water pipe?
Chrome moly? Other?

2. Best way to join mast sections? Muffler clamps used with a single
steel plate? Boom-type two-part clamps? Other? Pin them?

3. Whatever mast material I use, there will probably be enough
side-to-side flexing that one or two supports will be needed part way
up the mast to keep it from whipping back and forth. Suggestions?

4. The Trylon tower is pretty wide at the base so I think I can
insert sections up from below thereby avoiding having to lower them
down from the top. I hope.

It would sure be nice to do rotator work at ground level.  Any other
pitfalls I should be aware of?

73, Bill W6WRT