[TowerTalk] RE : Mast for rotator at bottom of tower?

hermans on4kj at skynet.be
Mon Jun 12 18:17:57 EDT 2006

Bill Marc,

I dont agree completely Marc, as far as I can admit that the Yeasu 2800 has
been constructed the same way as the G-2000RC who is an older version with
AC motor.
My rotor is bolted on a removeable and calibrated platform at a hight of 5
meter. ( Tell you why later ).
I agree that a steel mast is quite heavy to be supported continously by the
sole motor ( Max dead weight 250 Kg or 550 lbs max momentary vertical weight
800 Kg or 1760 lbs).
 But one can, as I, use a thrust bearing near the top. ( Yeasu GS-065 ) max
diameter 65 mm and clamped with 8 bolts. I inserted even steel straps as not
to tighten de bolts on the mast itself.
Further I dont use a steel mast, but aluminium, 50 mm diam. The first and
the last section are 5 mm thick, the others only 3 mm thick.
Its done this way as not to crush the parts where  antenna and the motot are
fixed. The rest of the sections only have to support the torque. One should
know that the torque on a full rod doesn't change that much compared with a
pipe. The assembling of the different sections has been done as follows.
Inside the pipe I chased a calibrated hard plastic rod, outside there is a
callibrated alu. sleeve  Eight bolts eight mm ( inox ) diagonally keeps the
whole thing fixed.
One could argue OK but the torque in high winds!!..... OK I stated a torque
of some 6 to 8 degrees, but it isn't very important as the solenoid wedge
has only 90 stop positions ( every 4° )so what!. When firing with a long
boom rifle on VHF/UHF things might be much more important I agree, but not
on HF.
Why my motor has been mounted at 5 m height? Well, the is system is mounted
as a lift. Five meters of the mast come out of the top of the tower. Some
lightweight antenna on top of the mast, while the 5 elements beam is
tightened only a few cm ( inches ) from the top of the tower. And here it
comes.... Loose the thrust bearing on top, loose the motor platform wich is
now held in place by three counter poise with nearly the same weight as the
total weight ( motor platform mast and all the antennae ). Now one can loose
the beam which will sit on the top of the tower while pushing the whole
system downwards with one hand untill the motor on its platform reaches
ground level, and the top of the mast reaches the top of the tower.
When the job is done , proceed the inversed way........Just bear in mind one
should compensate the total weight if it has changed to much.
The nice thing here is that every thing sits back exactly on the same place
after maintenance or changes have been executed etc etc.

This systems works for me since 2001. My son tolds me it works quite well
and should be very easy in use after doing it a couple of times. I do no
more climbing work my self at the age of 72,the more I lost my right ear and
lots of my equilibrium.......
Guess I wont be a good sailor as I used to be at 18 yy..........!!!

My 2 cents of experience.
Have fun guys.

Jos ON4KJ  OS5N, OR6G when working contest for my club ONZ.

Nb: By the way OS5N just reminds me the Ostend coastal stations call OSN,
when I used to be a spark in the Belgian Navy half a century ago....