[TowerTalk] measuring cable loss with an MFJ 259B

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Jun 14 11:03:36 EDT 2006

A friend and I have been corresponding about seeming anomalies in results obtained when attempting to measure cable loss with the MFJ-259B.

With the opposite end of a 50-ohm cable open, the manual says, and I would expect, a gradually increasing loss as the frequency increases.  Instead, what we both see is variation above and below an increasing average value.  With a 100' piece of RG-213, he is seeing swings of as much as .5 dB, which I assume rules out A/D converter jitter as the cause, so the questions are:

-- what is going on?

-- what value represents the real loss of the cable?  Do you need to draw a loss curve that averages out the variations in order to compare your results with the cable spec?

73, Pete N4ZR
The World HF Contest Station Database
Full details on 3165 contest stations
at http://www.pvrc.org/WCSD/WCSDsearch.htm