[TowerTalk] Fall Protection

Mark Adams, PE msadams at buffalo.edu
Wed Jun 14 13:52:06 EDT 2006

Hi Gang,

Just a few notes here as I don't have time to pontificate. I am a
Professional Engineer working at SUNY/Buffalo. My expertise is in fall
protection and construction safety.

   1. NEVER, EVER use a safety belt in any situation where you might
      fall. If you are hurt and slumped over, you will die after your
      diaghram compresses and you cannot breathe. Bummer.
   2. If you think a belt is safe, put it on, tie a rope to it and an
      overhead member that will take the force, give it 2' of slack and
      jump. Oh, don't do that, you'll break your spine. If your spine is
      OK, you'll like fall out of the belt and smack the ground.
   3. A belt is for POSITIONING only. If you can SAFELY get into and out
      of a work position, you can use a belt to provide hands free work.
   4. Fall protection and positioning are two separate issues.
   5. A FULL BODY HARNESS with side D-Rings for positioning and D-ring
      on the back for fall protection is good. Even better, add a front
      D-ring, a climbing adapter and a top to bottom cable for fall
      protection. This provides ALL the necessary protection.
   6. "If you fall from >20' you'll wish you were dead."  Quote by a guy
      from Miller Fall Protection.
   7. BIG MYTH: If you fall into a full body harness, your legs will
      lose blood flow and you'll die. NOT TRUE. Full body harnesses by
      Miller and the other big boys have sub-pelvic straps that support
      the butt for 45 minutes +/- of relative comfort. Amazing that one
      incident of improper use can produce this type of story.

That's all I have time for, time to check on some scaffold erection.

73,
Mark Adams, PE
ars: K2QO
UB EH&S