[TowerTalk] measuring cable loss with an MFJ 259B

Bob Newton W5RN rj.newton.w5rn at verizon.net
Thu Jun 15 17:03:45 EDT 2006

The method for the Autuk VA1 is as follows:

 From Instructions for the Vector RX Antenna Analyst Model VA1

         IMPEDANCE (Z) METHOD

Either open or short the line and find the minimum Z at the nulls. The
cable loss at that frequency is given by:

      Min. Loss (dB) = 8.69 X Minimum Z/ Line Impedance

(Note: You need not change the VA1 line impedance for this measurement,
since Z does not depend on line impedance)

For 50 ohm line the loss is

       Loss - 50 ohm line (dB) = 0.17 X Minimum Z

For example, if you measure a 4 ohm minimum Z with 50 ohm line, the loss
is 0.68 dB.

The Z method works well for any line impedance. Overall, we recommend
the Z method for its greater accuracy. The SWR method can be used for a
quick estimate.

Please note that all loss values are for a line terminated in the  line
impedance (SWR = 1. ) The loss is higher at higher SWRs.

END QUOTE

There is a statement to the effect that an open line is the more
accurate method.

Bob Newton W5RN
Rolling Hills Estates, CA