[TowerTalk] re Radials

Dave Tipton dave at lodave.org
Fri Jun 16 17:25:31 EDT 2006

Ok, I like this idea and it makes the most sense.  I just picked up 500 feet of #16 Wire (TImes 2.  Its basically lamp cord).  I'm going to put down the whole 500 foot spool with the lengths cut to 60 feet.  I'll just snake em anywhere I can, and then pin em down with some Lawn staples, or the equivalent.  I have 45 feet by 50 feet to work with.. It won't be perfect, but it will work.  I also have the antenna analyzer at the ready for final tune up.

  I do have a tuner, but a flaw I've found in Hustler antennas, is they need to be kinda close in frequency to the "Wanted" frequency to work effectively.  This especially holds true for their mobile antennas.  Anything over 2.5 to 1 SWR generally turns deaf.

  Dave, W3DMT

hasan schiers <schiers at netins.net> wrote:
  Dave,

If you are going to lay the radials on the ground and the vertical is ground mounted, then I think you would be very happy with the moderate performance of 16 radials, 1/4 wave or so on the lowest band. There is NO RESONANCE effect for radials that are on the ground or shallowly buried. If you elevate the radials they must be individually tuned for a 1/4w for each band.

The spec for 3 on each band, at 1/4 wave long implies the antenna is NOT going to be ground mounted, but rather will be supported a significant distance in the air, thus becoming a "ground plane" antenna. Your performance with 3 tuned elevated radials on each band should be "decent", although far from ideal. The primary variable for elevated radials is how high! The higher you get the antenna as a portion of a wavelength, the more efficient your elevated tuned radials become. If you get up 20 to 25' on 40m, the performance can be quite good. On 80m it won't be as good.

Let's not get overly lost in the Take Off Angle (TOA), commonly called angle of radiation. The key is how much power is put into the lobe of radiation centered at the TOA, not the TOA itself. The reason I say it this way is if you have very high ground return losses (poor radial field), your TOA will still be low...but there will be very little power going into that TOA because it has been eaten up with ground losses.

For this reason, a lot of people opt for the elevated ground plane with tuned radials. The mistake they make, however, it not getting the base of the elevated vertical high enough to cause the tuned elevated radials to "mask" the high losses of the earth beneath it.

Again, for what you are talking about (moderate operational success, as opposed to ideal), 3 tuned radials per band with a height of 15' might work out just fine especially on 40m and 20m. The nice thing is, you can always add more!

73,

...hasan, N0AN