[TowerTalk] re Radials

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Sat Jun 17 14:58:11 EDT 2006

It is my understanding that a hilltop and the proper terrain can make
all the difference with a horizontal antenna.

Another correspondent to this list compared a horizontal antenna on a
500' tower on flat ground vs the same antenna on a 100' tower on a 400'
hilltop with the ground sloping off at 45 degrees using HFTA "...and the
two vertical patterns [were] essentially identical."  Since the
effective height of an antenna is determined relative to the terrain
2-1/2-3 wavelengths from the antenna, a 100' high 160M dipole on such a
hilltop would be effectively one wavelength high and would have a TOA of
about 15 degrees.

I am not disagreeing with anything that has been said in previous posts,
but just underscoring that terrain has to be taken into account when
making these kinds of comparisons.

73, Joe
K2XX