[TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Mon Jun 19 12:19:47 EDT 2006

I have seen two posts now claiming that an inverted vee works better
than a vertical for receiving on 160 meters for both DX and local (at
least for the persons posting).  I'm not disputing these claims, but I
don't understand them.

I am assuming when someone says "quiter", they mean a higher signal to
noise ratio.

It seems to me that a properly constructed short inverted vee will have
a big lobe straight up on 160, and overall, a higher response angle.  So
what is it about an inverted vee that makes it better for your
situation? Any speculation?

If you say the signals are actually coming in at a high angle, that
would say that the inverted vee would also work better than a beverage.

Here's a piece of information that may/or may not be helpful.  An
inverted vee that is very short (very high SWR), fed with coax and no
balun, will have high common mode feedline currents, and function a lot
like a vertical.  If the feedline is placed next to something, like a
tower, the feedline will couple to the tower.

Jerry, K4SAV