[TowerTalk] 160M Inverted Vee

Bill Axelrod bill at axelrods.org
Mon Jun 19 13:18:29 EDT 2006

I just can't resist sending this post.

One more take it or leave it observation about an 160M inverted Vee.  Mine
is hung off of my tower with the apex at 70ft and the ends at ~20 ft.

And sure, it is a better receiving antenna than my vertical - IF and only
IF - I measure "better receiving antenna" by the noise level.  Certainly,
it's a whole lot quieter than the vertical.  It doesn't hear all the noise.
Unfortunaly, it also doesn't hear signals all that well unless they are
close (100 to 1000 miles).  Seems to me that's the real issue.

It doesn't transmit all that well.  Does a great job on USA QSOs out to the
midwest.  But there's lots of DX I can't hear.  And more that can't hear me
on the Vee.

Despite that, I worked about 50 countries on 160 this past winter season,
and a small number of "real good" DX at that.  So what?

Am I happy with it?  Heck no.  New vertical and beverages going up this
week.

So, all the emails bragging about working so many countries or some rare DX
don't testify to how good any electrically low 160M inverted Vee is.  Nor
does it matter how "quieter" it is.  That's not the issue.  What matters is
how does it compare to that vertical for transmitting, or that beverage,
K9AY loop, etc for receiving.  The laws of physics will dictate the results.
I'd be leery of those who claim an exemption.

73...   Bill K3WA