[TowerTalk] Using Plenum Plenum Cable

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 21 15:34:00 EDT 2006

At 10:55 AM 6/21/2006, K8RI on Tower talk wrote:
>Couple of things I need clarifying.
>What is plenum rated cable? I worked in industry for years, but have been
>retired for over 7, and never heard the term used.  We used thhn and other
>cables in cable trays and conduit.

Plenum rated cables are ones that have insulation that has limited fire
spreading ability.  In many buildings, the space above a suspended ceiling
is used as a HVAC return (i.e. a plenum), and, so, cables that lie in that
space must be plenum rated.

There's also what's called "riser rated", which is suitable for long
vertical runs in a riser, because it won't turn into a natural draft flame
thrower or Rijke tube.

I think this ONLY applies to communications cables, and not to power wires
(which have to be contained in something like conduit or another jacket of
insulation). [An interesting question.. if anyone knows, I'd be interested
to know if there is such a thing as Plenum Rated "romex"]

Interestingly, even if you have ducted returns and feeds for your HVAC, the
airspace above the ceiling (or below a raised floor) might still be
considered a plenum. In code speak, you need to consult your AHJ (Authority
having Jurisdiction).

The MGM Grand fire is what triggered a lot of the changes in rules, because
the spread of that fire was greatly facilitated by the suspended ceiling.

I also find it amusing that "plenum rated" is used as a selling point for
short (3-6 ft) audio and video interconnecting cables for stereos and
TVs.  Plenum rating is irrelevant for consumer equipment interconnects, and
certainly doesn't have anything to do with the electrical properties.  If
your stereo catches on fire, I suspect you have bigger problems than
worrying about whether the cable from the CD player is going to make things
worse.

[note, if you're stringing cables inside your walls, as for speakers, etc.,
then plenum rating has (possibly) some worth...)