[TowerTalk] staples for radials

doktorij at bellsouth.net doktorij at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 29 08:09:52 EDT 2006

"Might there be a problem using steel staples over copper wire? Isn't
there an opportunity for dissimilar metal corrosion?"

You're more likely to get noise from poor connections at the base of the antenna than somewhere down the radial line. If you use bare stranded wire for the radials, you'll eventually have corrosion between strands that would be much more noisy than a decomposing staple.

My radials are less than standard one to another. I have stuff as large as #10 enamelled wire, RG 58 and as small as #28 coated wire. Any scrap wire 20' or longer went into the ground. I've not had any discernable noise issues on 160/80.

Under the new verticals I'm using #18 coated (automotive stuff) that I found really cheap online. It did a great job last Fall/Winter.

73,
Julius
n2wn