[TowerTalk] Gap Voyager Gotchas...

Mahlon Haunschild mahlonhaunschild at cox.net
Thu Jun 29 20:20:32 EDT 2006

Well, Dave, lessee here...

1.  They're not "radials" in the usual sense of the word; they're an
active part of the antenna on (possibly) 160 and (definitely) 80.
Length matters; cut them carefully and ensure that they remain
insulated.  Cutting the wires is how the antenna is tuned for 80.  And
three is all you need; if more were necessary GAP would have said so.

2.  Follow the erection instructions carefully, especially lay out the
guy strings so they don't get snagged.  If a guy string gets caught on
anything on the way up you will probably at least bend the antenna
before you notice that it's not going up any more.  Don't ask me how I
know this....

3.  Don't try to put it up by yourself, at least for the first time.

4.  Make sure that the base insulators are intact.  Remember... base is
NOT ground on this antenna.

GL.  regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ