[TowerTalk] Guy post

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sat Mar 4 22:52:40 EST 2006

In a message dated 3/3/2006 1:36:08 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
towertalk-request at contesting.com writes:

>  I am currently using 3"OD steel pipe for my above ground  guys for a Rohn
25 tower.  The post are 9 feet with 5 feet above hard  ground set in concrete.
 I want to fill the post with concrete and one  long rebar to strengthen them
against bending. Would concrete with gravel or  just cement with sand be
better inside the pipes?

    None of the above. Imagine a 2" round piece of  vertical concrete.
What'll happen if it falls over and hits the ground?  Correct - it shatters. The
best way to strengthen it is to back-guy  it.

    While it's too late now, next time use 6-8  inch H-beams - they're way
stronger than a round pipe.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH