[TowerTalk] Sailboat & Mast Antenna?

noddie noddie at comcast.net
Thu Mar 16 21:10:56 EST 2006

Now that is exactly what I would do, but most all MM stations I have talked
to have said do not hang anything in the ocean because it was a problem, I
wish I could remember why.

I should have taken more notice I guess.  I am sure someone here will have
an answer.

Mike K6BR

I have been given a 19' Lightning Sail boat.

The hull is sound but it will need considerable
attention before it is seaworthy.

The mast is a tall metal construction

A very good friend of mine (WB4CPZ, now SK)  used  a commercial all band
Icom
with auto tuner to cover marine and ham frequencies from both a smallish
sail
boat and later a second hand trawler he used as a scuba dive boat running
from Tarpon Springs  to the Totugas.  He was pretty pleased with the 40m
performance to keep in touch with locals regarding various weather issues
and simply
keeping in touch with the world on his jaunts.

Worst case, if the mast does not play, run a sloping wire to the top and
dump
a weighted counterpoise ground wire over the side.  Its tough to beat a nice

slt water ground system!

Bill
K2EK.