[TowerTalk] Link Coupled Tuner Question

Joe Giacobello k2xx at swva.net
Sun Mar 19 11:33:35 EST 2006

Peter, thanks for the input.  And Cebik also suggested 1700 pF or so as
a starting point for the 160M link.  I am currently using a 3" coil with
five turns cut out of the center as the link.  It's not as effective as
a concentric link, but the SWR is very responsive to the output
capacitor and I do see 50 ohms and about zero reactance at the tuner
input.  It occurred to me that the link capacitor was added to the early
link tuner designs as a refinement, and I'm wondering if, with my
particular combination of component values, a link capacitor is
necessary at all.

Nevertheless, thanks for confirming that it tunes fairly flat. That
gives me the confidence to go forward.

73, Joe