[TowerTalk] CC&R Content Question

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun Mar 19 13:43:16 EST 2006

At 09:20 AM 3/19/2006, Pat Barthelow wrote:
>Hello John,
>
>What obnoxious wording in the deed restrictions!

Virtually all CC&Rs have some sort of similar wording, or what's worse,
they empower the HOA board of directors to make rules and regulations,
which can then implement such a wording.

And, on it's face, the restriction is not all that unreasonable.  It's the
varying  definitions of what's objectionable where the excitement
starts.  That meth lab in the front yard probably fits in the nuisance
category, as does would proposal to create an open pit trash dump to breed
rats in.

However, there is a fair amount of case law on what constitutes a
"nuisance", but bear in mind that that case law came about because two
people had sufficiently strong feelings to go to court about it.  What you
want to avoid is YOUR case being the origin of that case law.

As far as the size and scale of the antenna goes.. my experience in HOA
objections to all sorts of my and my neighbors' activities has been that
the scale of the annoyance is immaterial.  They would complain just as much
about a 10 foot stainless steel whip just as they would about a 100 foot
free standing tower.  It's just that the 10 foot whip *might* be small
enough to not be noticed.

I guarantee that ANY beam antenna will be noticed.

I had a nice call from the local code enforcement guy who said that someone
had complained about my 4 6BTV verticals, and they were laying flat on the
ground. I'm not quite sure where they were actually visible from (perhaps
the back yard of a house or a street above mine). Maybe the complainer
monitors TowerTalk and/or saw my ham license plates? Such is life in the
big suburb.  The code guy just wanted to make sure I was aware that
erecting the antennas requires a permit in our city.

Interestingly, although the complainant's identity in these situations is
secret, the code guy did lead me to believe that it wasn't a resident in
the area.
Probably a realestate salesperson trying to keep property values up. {I am
not slamming hard working RE folks here.  I have good reason to believe the
complaint was retaliation from from one of them, but one doesn't want to
libel someone inadvertently.}

The real point is that the problem can come from any of a variety of
sources, and the way the system works, if one of 100 people has a problem,
then you've got to deal with it.  Realistically, your best bet is to make
friends with the other homeowners, most particularly, those on the
board.  They can make the rational decisions. The worst situation is where
there isn't an active board who can deal with the minority objector.  If
the HOA is defunct, the CC&Rs still exist, and any aggrieved homeowner can
take you to court on it.  You may prevail in the long run, but it might be
expensive, particularly if the aggrieved homeowner happens to be an
attorney, greatly reducing his own legal expenses.

If, on the other hand, you wind up in a situation where it's you shouting
into the firestorm of united criticism, and all your neighbors are marching
with pitchforks and flaming torches, you've got to decide if you've got the
stomach and resources to "stand on your rights".