[TowerTalk] Why not regalvanize?

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Tue May 2 09:08:50 EDT 2006

I have been using Brite Zinc for about 5 years on my Rohn 55G tower in
Aruba.  The product is easy to apply and it dries hard.  Unfortunately for
me it gets salt blasted off in less than a year, however for your
application it should work fine. The factory zinc finish didn't last any
longer than the Brite Zinc.  For me, it's not practical to regalvanize and
I'll be painting the tower again later this month.  I treat the real bad
areas with Rustoleum Rusty Metal primer before painting, however one of the
other products you listed may work better at encapsulating the corrosion.

73,
John KK9A / P40A

From: "N2TK, Tony" <tony.kaz at verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 19:51:50 -0400

My Rohn 45 has a light coloring of rust on the upper sections. There is no
flaking. My thought is to paint it rather than re-galvanize. Does anyone
have experience with the following? Found these out on the internet
- Brite Zinc
- Eastwood Metal Wash/Rust Encapsulator
- Por-15 Metal Ready/Rust Preventor/Sterling Silver
- Rust Bullet

I wonder how these compare with Blended Vinyl Acrylic Emulsion listed below?

73,
N2TK, Tony