[TowerTalk] W7IX--More Info

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 16 17:03:03 EDT 2006

Jerry,

Thanks for posting this.  Sounds a lot different than the original report of
the tower breaking apart for an unknown reason.

Guy wire failure due to falling objects has been the cause of many fatal
tower accidents over the years.  In this case it is apparent that the job
was just too big for one person.

When I do heavy duty work like this I use a heavy-duty gin pole (from WB0W)
to hold a monster antenna during mount/dismount or assembly/disassembly.
But there was a time when I went up alone and hauled up and installed a
Ringrotor (in pre-assembled pieces) with the help of a friend on the ground.
When I related this story to a long-time tower climbing friend he told me to
NEVER do a job like this alone.  After hearing this story, I now understand
the seriousness of his admonition.

73, Keith NM5G