[TowerTalk] [WISPA FCC] OT??? High power 2.4 GHz rules change

Darrel J. Van Buer darrel at vanbuer.net
Sat May 20 19:27:02 EDT 2006

I don't actively use 2.4 GHz so the only affect now is nil, in future if
I got into it, it would presumably drive up costs and obsolete some non
APC gear, but several observiatons:

It's first and foremost an ISM band - even we hams are stuck with any
ISM interference, including the ubiquitous microwave oven.  While ovens
are not supposed to leak (much), it doesn't take much of a kilowatt
leaking out to be trouble for part 15 power levels of a few milliwatts.
I don't think you'll ever get APC on the ovens.  Virtually all ham
VHF/UHF spectrum is shared with other services, usually radar or ISM.

Most ham stuff is still modes like FM, CW, AM video, relatively narrow
band fixed carrier.  Mutual interference with spread spectrum like much
of 802.11 is inherently low.

Politically, it seems like you are trying to find a way around to sneak
around the downside of unlicensed Part 15 - you have almost no rights.
The "right" approach is to seek licensed spectrum, with rules to fit the
class of service.

--
Darrel J. Van Buer, AK6I
darrel at vanbuer.net