[TowerTalk] Painting Rohn 45

K4VV at aol.com K4VV at aol.com
Sun May 28 14:54:06 EDT 2006

I have used ZRC cold galvanizing product on new and used towers with good
results.

ZRC is accepted as meeting the standard of hot dip galvanizing for some
applications.  ZRC does take a little more preparation for use, shaking and
stirring.  Use a painting glove to apply the ZRC by gripping and wiping the tubular
surfaces and a small brush to touch up tight spots. A mixing tool on your
electric drill will help.

My experience is that applying ZRC is easy on the ground.  One challenge in
applying ZRC while climbing is the need for a stable method for hooking the
tray or bucket to the tower and trips down and up to prepare a new batch.  You
may have a helper to prepare and raise another batch, or mix a half gallon to
take up and work quickly.  It took about 1.5 hours for me to do 70 feet of Rohn
55 on the ground.

One coat is effective.  I applied two for more longevity.  The Rohn is still
looking good after 10 years.  I have applied ZRC to four more towers recently.

ZRC sells for about $100 to $120 per gallon.  I have no financial interest or
family connection with ZRC.

Follow the instructions carefully for storage.

Jack Hammett, K4VV