[TowerTalk] Wireless ISP on Ham tower

Hector Garcia XE2K j_hector_garcia at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 31 00:16:05 EDT 2006

Bob:

Some equipment is very sensitive to the RFI,  i
remember one customer that was a problem to solve, he
was  very close to a AM tower, the cisco equipment we
use with him  was unable to resist the 910 khz freq
from the broadcast,  the same Grid 24 dbs antenna
grounding  and all the possibles things to solve the
weird problem,  the cisco bridge was very suceptible ,
i switch to a Breezcom radio that use a metal case
and was the only solution,  the cisco use a plastic
case.
at my station i use the 2.4 ghz cisco and  in low
bands the radio lost the connection,  at the moment
i'm usign a  Motorola Canopy  5.7 ghz with a reflector
, this antena is at the front of the other towers and
have no problem.

most of the problems in this equipments is the UTP
cable  that "receive" the RFI

a lot of people use legal power at HF band with out
cut the connection in the 2.4 ghz,  other find the
solution for his personal connection  or live with it

if you will rent the space for W ISP and you reset or
reboot the equipment when operate can be a problem.

the W isp use 900mhz 2.4, 5.2, 5.7-5.8 GHz  some old
1.2 Ghz   and the public start using 4.9 GHz

test  and see what happend
good luck