[TowerTalk] Phillystran for Wire Dipoles in Trees?

Kevin Stover rkstover at mchsi.com
Wed May 31 18:40:00 EDT 2006

Jim Brown wrote:

>We've had several threads on this topic, and none of the options
>seemed ideal or conclusively good.  I've moved to a new QTH, with
>lots of 100 ft tall redwoods. I need to hang long dipoles with heavy
>wire and heavy feedlines (I want to run high power). When I find
>someone to climb, I'll have them put good quality pulleys in the
>trees and rig some lines into them. Short term, I'm throwing ropes
>over branches.
>
>I've had bad experience with the 5/16" Dacron sold by Davis RF/Radio
>Bookstore, which says it is made by Synthetic Textiles. This seems
>to be the same stuff that DX Engineering sells.  The failure mode
>I've seen is wear at the pulley. One of my friends suggested
>Phillystran as a better alternative. Does anyone have any thoughts
>or experience on this topic?
>
>I'll probably have to pay a good buck for the climber, so paying a
>bit more for rope that doesn't need to be replaced in a few years is
>a no-brainer. Are there any other good alternatives? Are any of the
>sailing lines worth the added cost?  How about polyester?
>
>Jim Brown K9YC

Dacron is a brand name (DuPont) for polyester.
I've never had a problem with any of the Dacron line I've used and I've
used some from Cable Xperts and DX Engineering.
If you keep having failures at the pulley I think you may have a size
mismatch between the line and the pulley.
Any rope made of any material will fail in that situation sooner or later.

--
R. Kevin Stover	ACØH

K2/100 #4684

Reclaim Your Inbox!