[TowerTalk] Questions about Irrigation Pipe for Verticals

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Fri Nov 3 15:45:07 EST 2006

So-called "2 1/2 inch" water pipe or conduit has an
OD of 2 7/8 inches.  Thinwall 3 inch conduit has an ID
of 2.9 inches.  This allows for a 12.5 mil gap, theoretically.
This might work for tubing in perfect condition, although
you need to understand that they really don't specific "roundness"
so there is no guarantee it will fit.  If you have used irrigation
tubing like I do (the price was right, hi), there will be a coating
of dirt on the inside, and probably a few dings.  Next thing
you know you are having to use a rubber mallet and grease to get the
insert inside.  Been there, done that.

It is far easier to just take a couple of feet of the
3 inch irrigation tubing and slit it length wise using
a sabre saw with a nonferrous metal blade.  This piece
can then be slipped over the joint and clamped with
hose clamps.  The strength is quite adequate.  If over
stressed, the tubing next to the joint will buckle first.
The joint won't fail.

If you want an insulated joint, make the sleeve from 3 inch
sch 40 PVC pipe, and put in a spacer made from 2 1/2 inch
PVC pipe.  Put a slight ding in the irrigation tubing to prevent
it from entering the spacer.

Rick N6RK