[TowerTalk] Questions about Irrigation Pipe for Verticals

Red RedHaines at centurytel.net
Fri Nov 3 23:30:57 EST 2006

Hi, Gary;

I machined them from a piece of 3" OD 1/2" wall aluminum I found at a
scrap yard.  Just got lucky!  I have a small lathe and removed a few
thousandths from the ID for bushings at the top of the 3" pipe and a few
from the OD for bushings at the bottom of the 2" pipe.

An alternative is to turn the bushings of wood with four to six pieces
of thin aluminum, fastened to the appropriate pipe and extending over
the wood between the pipes.  Make this assembly rather loose so it will
slide easily.  One of us should calculate the reactance across the space
between a foot or more of the two pipes; maybe the electrical contact
isn't very important at HF.

73 de Red