[TowerTalk] Inverted v vs dipole at different heights

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Sun Nov 5 18:14:42 EST 2006

Wow, and inverted vee for 80 meters at 1/2 wavelength height is a very
good antenna.  Maybe you meant 1/4 wavelength.  To answer the question
you asked, an inverted vee at 140 feet will beat the heck out of a flat
top dipole at 70 feet.

An 80 meter inverted vee with an included angle of 120 degrees with the
apex at 70 feet, for gain purposes, is very close to a flat top dipole
at 55 ft height. This also scales to 40 meters, an inverted vee at 35 ft
is very close to a dipole at 27 ft on 40 meters.

Your noise levels seem to be excessively high. There are a couple of
possibilities. You live in an area of very high local noise, or since
your are not using a baluns, there is a possibility that some of that
noise is originating from your station ground. Think of it this way. You
know a feedline will radiate when feeding a dipole with coax and no
balun. This may not be a problem for transmit unless you have RFI in the
shack. The opposite condition happens on receive. The feedline can pick
up signals either from out of the air or coupled onto the feedline from
the end where it is attached (station ground). When these signals reach
the antenna, they are converted from common mode to differential and you
will hear them. A good balun can prevent this.

So my recommendation would be add baluns to your inverted vees and
dipoles. This probably will not fix all your noise problems, but it may
help.

Your S5 noise on 20 and S9 on 40 is very high.  Last night my noise
level on 20 was S0 and maybe S2 on 40. Is this noise present at all
times of the day? After adding baluns, I would try to identify the
source. It must be from something local, being that high. Most AC line
noise is related to 60 Hz and harmonics. You can verify this
relationship by looking at the noise with the waterfall display of a
PSK31 program. You may have to determine if it is from something within
your house or your neighbors house. Of course it could be the combined
noise of many sources from all the houses around you. A horizontal
antenna with a balun might offer a little improvement if the noise is
from a fairly distance source and from primarily only one direction, but
don't expect miracles.  If the noise source is close to your antenna, it
probably won't make any difference at all.

If you can't find the source, it may be time for a receive only antenna,
K9AY, EWE, flag, pendant, beverage, etc.

Jerry, K4SAV