[TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 7 23:53:08 EST 2006

At 06:01 PM 11/7/2006, Bill Turner wrote:
> [...]

I think soldering is primarily a materials problem in a vibe
environment (work hardening, I believe).  I'm not sure it's a problem
in a low vibe, thermal cycling environment where there's 360 cycles
per year..e.g. the typical amateur installation, although I don't
know that I would mechanically load a soldered joint.

In any case, I'm a big believer in machine made connections, whether
they are crimped or flow soldered.  It's the "workmanship" that bites
you every time, and any time you can have part of the process
"automated", even if only by a crimper with dies that crush the
connection "just the right amount" every time, you're ahead of the game.