[TowerTalk] Shunt fed tower 2

K4SAV RadioIR at charter.net
Sat Nov 11 23:48:38 EST 2006

One other item regarding phasing two different type verticals. The phase
of the current in the shunt fed tower will not be what you expect due
the matching network. You have to know the phase of this current to get
the two verticals working properly.

I guess there are a few choices:
1. Analysis the heck out of the tower with NEC (this will be complicated
and not likely to produce an accurate answer unless you include every
associated wire and antenna).
2. Set up the gain and front to back experimentally using field strength
measurements.
3. Build it, then play around with phasing and see if you can get any
front to back, or see what seems to work best.  This may take a while,
and is unlikely to produce good results.

It can be done, but it's not going to be easy.

Jerry, K4SAV