[TowerTalk] More Crimp-on UHF connectors - history

Kimo Chun kimo at lava.net
Tue Nov 14 01:58:45 EST 2006

Motorola used to use PL259 connectors up UHF frequencies. Now they use
mini-UHF connectors.

They used to sell UHF-M crimp-on connectors for RG8  p/n 2880324A76 by the
bag of 100. They used a weird custom tool in the 70's then one perhaps made
by Cablematic in the 80's. Both the clamp ferrule and center pin were
crimped. They were cheap, perhaps a buck or so each. I still have a few
left. They are not available anymore by my search. I suspect they were made
by AMP. Looking at Tyco/AMP now, they do sell a connector p/n 330830 now but
it was $31.70 each from one distributor. It is a more complex connector than
the old one. I shudder to think what their tool costs. I bet several hundred
at least.

Motorola seems to still sell the RG-58 version of the connector. I don't
know if they have it in bulk packages anymore. It costs several dollars at
dealer price. p/n 2880324A75. I still have some of them as well. They do
work well and were used for years in the 2-way industry. I believe they had
a polypropylene dielectric. Both pin and ferrule are crimped. Most any crimp
tool for RG58 will likely work. It was easy to install in the field and did
a good job. I think they also were made for Motorola by AMP (the early tool
Motorola sold for them was from AMP- I may not have seen the beginning). I
haven't looked to see if Tyco/AMP makes an equivalent for general sale. For
making a bunch of RG58 patch cords, there is nothing faster and easier.

Given that solder on connectors with UG-175 reducers are pretty cheap
now-a-days (silver plated no less). I can't see many people bothering with
crimp on types unless they have overriding reasons.

I believe Amphenol also made silver-plated, Teflon center solder PL259's
just for Motorola in those days. I have some still. Now, I think you can get
either silver-plated OR Teflon center but not both, from Amphenol. Unless
that has changed since the last time looked at their commercial catalog.
It's less of an issue these days with cheap Made in USA and foreign made
equivalents that do a decent job. I bet ones from Amphenol would cost double
or triple what the others cost if they were made available. I posted this
bit of trivia before. PS. Don't forget to scrape the Astroplate from around
the solder holes on Amphenol connectors to aid in the solder sticking to the
brass underneath.

Aloha, 73

Kimo Chun, KH7U