[TowerTalk] Copper wire prices

Keith Dutson kdutson at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 16 16:26:31 EST 2006

[snip]
And now you can see why aluminum might not be such a bad alternative.
Prices on aluminum haven't gone up as much as for copper (in proportion).
Granted, it's a bit trickier to bond than copper (I don't think thermite
will work with aluminum like it does with copper <grin>).

Some may not realize what you are grinning about.  To illustrate, consider
the solid rocket boosters used on the space shuttle are fueled with a
mixture of ammonium perchlorate and powdered aluminum suspended in an epoxy
resin.

[snip]
There is *speculation* that copper prices will fall next year, so you might
be able to do some options trading to get tomorrows price today (plus a
premium). (aluminum prices also fell yesterday)  But hey..
are we commodity speculators or antenna builders.

That speculation has a lot to do with reduction in troops in Iraq.  Right
now it's a crap shoot IMO.

73, Keith NM5G