[TowerTalk] [rfamplifiers] Lubricating squeaky rotary inductors?

kd4e kd4e at verizon.net
Fri Nov 17 18:56:31 EST 2006

 > Kenneth D. Grimm, K4XL wrote:
> I have occasionally wondered what would be a good lubrication regime for
> rotary inductors that complain as they are tuned.  The rotary inductor
> in my antenna tuner has begun to complain very loudly with a screeching,
> squeaky irritating noise as I run it up and down its tuning range.  I've
> got some Dow Corning Molykote GN that I think was given to me a few
> years ago for this purpose, but the data sheet on the product doesn't
> give any indication as to its suitability for electronic or rf
> purposes.  I don't want to foul the inductor with something that solves
> the squeaking problem but presents me with a conductivity problem
> instead.  Anyone have a tried and tested solution?

Molybdenum is highly recommended and very expensive!

I went looking for some a year ago and found only
case lots for big bucks ... then happened upon a
product in Lowes.

DuPont Performance.  It includes Molybdenum and
Teflon.  "Dry Multi-Use Lubricant."

I used it on the large roller in the tuner I was
using that the time and it worked really well.

The best feature of the Molybdenum is that it does
not gather dust like most lubricants -- it is "dry".

Someone may complain about the Teflon component but I
observed no negatives.

I took the liberty of copying this to the towertalk
list as there are some very competent engineers there
who likely have a more technically documented response.

--

Thanks! & 73,
doc, KD4E