[TowerTalk] Copper wire prices

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Nov 17 21:03:34 EST 2006

I doubt Alodine would be very effective for buried radials and it is a lot
of work.

The Aluminum is etched with Phosphoric Acid, thoroughly washed and then
given repeated treatments
http://www.rci-products.com/ALODINE.html
of Chromic Acid each of which is followed by thorough washing.  This
produces the Gold color which is relatively fragile.  A good rubbing with a
dry paper towel will remove it.  OTOH if handled carefully the majority of
the wire would remain coated. In a cold climate like here in Michigan the
freeze and thaw cycle would eventually remove the coating by the abrasive
movement of the soil. How long that would take I have no idea.

A gallon of etch and Chromic Acid will run some where in the neighborhood of
$20 as I recall.  However you can purchase the chemicals and mix your own
for far less per gallon. OTOH  that's not cheap either.
http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/corrosion/alodine.htm  contains the step
by step process.

The difference between bare aluminum and Alodine coated Aluminum exposed to
salt spray is 150 to 200 hours for the Alodine coating and a few hours for
the bare.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)