[TowerTalk] 160 m. antenna ideas

Rob Atkinson, K5UJ k5uj at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 18 19:18:32 EST 2006

Re shunt feeding the tower:  What is really being discussed is constructing
a ~ 1/4 wave folded monopole vertical (I hate the term "shunt feed."  It is
one of those ham terms that means something if you already know what shunt
feeding is, but is utterly meaningless to a newcomer.) similar to the folded
groundplane antennas used for vhf and uhf two way radio bases only on a
bigger scale.  The problem is that you have a crankup, so the connections
between sections may be iffy.  You have the steel cable of course, but I'd
prefer simply running a wire out a few feet from the tower, up to the top
and then out horiz. as far as possible to make an inverted L.   The horiz.
part doesn't have to be straight.  you can get away with bending it around
some  like this for example:  _/  \_  (there should be a high line between
the two slashes).    Of course for any of these you'll need radials.

rob / k5uj