[TowerTalk] Looking for Ideas - What to Put on Tower

Bill Parry BPARRY at RGV.RR.COM
Sun Nov 19 11:44:53 EST 2006

If I had that nice big tower I think I might buy that MonstIR antenna. You
would get 10 - 40 (and WARC and it may even work 6?) and a pretty good
antenna (only one rotator, thrust bearing and run of coax and rotator cable.
I have never seen one but I think that it sounds like a pretty good antenna.
Someone in your area may have one. I think I would stack a single element 80
M dipole above it, and I would put one or more full sized 160 M slopers from
the top. You will need a listening antenna like the K9AY loop or beverage (a
friend of mine has a full size slope on 160 and he says it is real noisy).

I used to have the KLM monobanders and the Hygain monobanders. I thought the
KLM 15 was a real killer, the 10 M version was not particularly good and the
20 was OK. I thought the Hygain 5 element antennas were OK but they kept
breaking elements and I finally put them in the trash. I think there are a
lot better choices that the KLM beams these days.

You might want to stack a couple of antennas for each band and side mount
them or use TIC ring rotators. A fairly good way might be to use the 4
element Cushcraft monobanders or the Force 12 monobanders for stacking.

I'm sure many others have differing opinions.

Bill, W5VX