[TowerTalk] Query RFI

Peter Dougherty w2irt at comcast.net
Sun Nov 19 13:13:44 EST 2006

At 12:00 PM 11/19/2006, you wrote:

>      There was also a more recent thread in which Levitron and
> Lutron were mentioned as makers of low-RFI dimmers.  FWIW.

When we put in new lighting in the house last month we went with
Lutron "smart" dimmers (3-way dimmers that "talk" to each other), and
so far not a whit of detectable RFI from them, nor from conventional
light dimmers in the house or from two plug-in types. Most are within
10' of the shack, too.

When I heard some noticeable QRM, the first thing I did was power off
all those dimmer -equipped circuits and no change was detectable. I
suspect I have a bad pole insulator somewhere in the neighbourhood -
it's especially bad in summer. The only thing that causes problems is
the Viewsonic LCD flat panel monitor on the other computer.

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT