[TowerTalk] Copper wire prices

wa3afs at inav.net wa3afs at inav.net
Mon Nov 20 10:23:51 EST 2006

I have used RG6 (and other 'scrap' coax) for some of my ground radials (with the center conductor and shield
connected together at the base plate).  I have trained my electrons to travel on the outer edges of the radials which
makes for the need for less radials to get the antenna to start working when using large diameter wire (like coax!).

I believe that the more radials, is always better, but I have observed that the antennas start 'playing' with only 2-3
larger diameter radials as opposed to using radials composed of number 24 (or smaller diameter).

My present coaxial inverted Ls ( 2 on 160M, 2 on 75M, 4 on 40M, 4 on 20M) have a total of about 6 miles of radials.
My first 75M coaxial inverted L at this QTH was put up with only 3 radials (scrap RG8, and RG6) and my first QSO
was a VK6 about an hour before sunset.

My goal is for about 60 radials on each antenna and I am using everything from Number 8 to Number 18 along with
old RG58, RG8X, and some RG6 that I was able to get before the price rise of copper.

Years ago I did use a 42 inch wide copper window screening as a double radial for a 20M vertical.  Antenna worked
very well!

73
  -- Bruce