[TowerTalk] radial wire

wa3afs at inav.net wa3afs at inav.net
Mon Nov 20 21:09:35 EST 2006

Copper clad steel may be rather difficult to work with for radial wires.

It has a memory that does not give up!  I had a long wire (200 feet or so) antenna (number 12?) that I had up for
about 2-3 years and when I took it down, it tried to roll itself back into the original size roll!  Even had a tree fall on it
and only ripped the eyebolt out of the side of the house!  No damage to the antenna.

It also tends to be a bit brittle.

A lot will depend upon whether you are going to bury, staple, or leave the radials on top of the ground.  Keeping it
flat against the ground may be problematic.

For the most part, I found that stranded wire was the easiest to work with for radials.  (But needing so much wire, I
became not very picky and had a bit of trouble with insulation that was 'bonded' to the wire (looks a lot like the
telephone cable lead from the pole to the house).  I had two large spools of that stuff.

Good luck
   -- Bruce, WA3AFS