[TowerTalk] Guying an Aluminum Tower

Don Havlicek n8de at thepoint.net
Tue Nov 21 10:49:21 EST 2006

Guying a tower that is designed as "self-supporting" is an "IFFY" situation.

The guys will place additional downward force on the legs which are
designed to absorb force when the tower "flexes" during wind-load
situations.

I'm sure there are users who have guyed their "self-supporting" towers
with no problems, but I would secure the assistance of an engineer to
get the best recommendation.

Now ... I have had a few self-supporting towers during my ham career,
and have only lost them to tornadoes .. not wind, so cannot tell you
what you might/should do for guying, as I have never guyed one.

Don
N8DE