[TowerTalk] Coupling 3" boom sections

NPAlex at aol.com NPAlex at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 11:27:23 EST 2006

General comment-
In the past few years I have had the need to put together hundreds of 3"
booms, and joining two or more sections.   W6WRT's problem is more  challenging
if the boom wall thickness is 1/8" as suggested in one of the  responses he
received. Another readily available wall is 0.083" tubing  often stocked in 24ft
lengths by many aluminum distributors.  The  method of coupling was the use of
about 36" of 2-7/8" dia. x 0.083  wall tubing, that was slotted along its
axis.  The width of  this slot is not too critical but should be at least 3 to 4
times the wall  thickness of the coupling piece.

One of the other responders suggested this same technique, however I think
it would be very difficult to implement using the material  suggested.  The
first challenge would be using the boom material for  the insert, which requires
a significant reduction in diameter, and more  distortion of the shape.  Next
the insertion length (half of 6ft)  would be very difficult especially if the
wall thickness was also  1/8".   Any boom length longer then about 15 ft
should be  supported by a bridge truss, and booms of 30 or more feet using 3 inch
material  would need to be supported.  Given this fact, the role of the coupler
is  primarily alignment of two halves and preventing them rotating
independently.  A coupler section 3 feet long (18" insertion) is adequate  to do that
job.  The slot should be positioned "up" and a series (about  4) of stainless
steel sheet metal screws positioned on either side of the  slot will be
adequate to prevent collapse of the slotted section.  For  added "anti-torque"
control another row of screws can be applied on a line  opposite of the slot.  Be
sure to liberally lubricate the insert and the  inside of the boom before
attempting to insert.  Also be sure all burrs and  sharp edges/corners on the insert
have been removed.

Remember the boom to mast plate and associated clamps also contribute to
preventing the boom halves from twisting.

Although the describe method may not be elegant, it has proven to be a
successful technique in a commercial boom application for many years.

The other solution is locate some 2-1/2" sched. 40 pipe that is nominally
2.875 OD, have about 0.010 removed (lathe job) which should be a nice slip fit
into 3" x 0.083 wall boom.  If your boom material is 1/8" wall you will  have
to find sched. 80 and take about 0.065 cut to fit the nominal 2-3/4" ID of
the heavier wall boom.    Unless you are boring holes in the boom  for element
attachment (ala Telrex) I think the 0.083 is adequate wall.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

PS, 2-7/8" sched 5 pipe is available from Tennadyne/Cubex in 12 ft
lengths.(for slotted coupler)