[TowerTalk] Installing and tensioning guywires

Phil Camera kb9cry at comcast.net
Tue Nov 21 14:19:53 EST 2006

>>I read somewhere that the safe re-use of guy grips is  determined by age
>since first wrapped.  Seems like it was 3 months  or so.  After that the
>coating inside hardens.

>   Is there a limit to the shelf life of unused Big Grips?  I wonder if the
coating stays useable if the grips are stored in the box on the shelf for
years before they are first used.

    I'm not sure what the official company policy is  but I wouldn't
personally have any problems using old PreForms. As long as the  grit inside the grips
is there, you should be good to go.

There is no shelf life to grips if they are stored properly (dry/shaded conditions).  And I don't think that the main gripping is done by the grit in the inside; it's done by the Chinese finger torture design.  My belief is that the three month limit is that once they are wrapped in place, they develop a shape memory and may not provide the same gripping ability. The grit inside is just some gravy that is added.

--
Phil - KB9CRY
Lockport, IL