[TowerTalk] Orion OR2800P

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Nov 21 19:02:10 EST 2006

I have spent the last hour searching for information on the Orion OR2800P
rotator.  All I found were opinions such as "I like it", "built like a
tank", etc...but absolutely no information on how it's constructed, or the
actual mechanics of the thing.  I did find one photo of the assembled unit
which doesn't even show scale.

Would some one please describe the insides for me?  What do they use for
load supporting bearings, what kind of gears, are they spur or worm gear. If
worm gear is a single or double reduction. What do they use for a brake if
not a dual worm gear?

If you need parts how long to get them? What kind of service and turn around
time. Are there any parts that are a long delivery item?

Are parts readily available for the controllers.

For me it's not just how well an item works but how well it's supported and
whether parts are standard and readily obtainable. Standard, readily
obtainable parts is second only to "is the rotator adequate to do the job
with a substantial safety margin".

For large arrays like my system (there are *much* larger systems out there)
I want the speed to either step up and down or smoothly increase and
decrease at the beginning and end of any movement.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)