[TowerTalk] Real waterproof connectors for rotators (was: source of 6/8 pin connectors?)

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 22 01:45:01 EST 2006

At 09:20 PM 11/21/2006, Richard (Rick) Karlquist wrote:
>A much better solution than either CJ or trailer
>connector pigtails is at this URL:
>
>http://www.deutschipd.com/Products/DT_Series/dt_series.html
>
>Real waterproof connectors that mount right on the end
>of the rotor cable w/o splices.  AND THEY'RE CHEAPER
>than trailer connector pigtails.  Now you have absolutely
>NO reason to use trailer connectors.

The trailer pigtails are pretty inexpensive ($1.99 for a male/female
set with 8" wires from JC Whitney, for instance)..

I do admit those Deutsch connectors look very nice, especially how
the sealing works. And, I suspect they make chassis mount versions,
which would be quite handy.

But, isn't someone supposed to pipe up with a curmudgeonly comment
along the lines of:

You should use only Western Union style splices, soldered with a
copper heated on a wood fire, just like they did for the
transcontinental railroad, insulated with bitumen and gutta
percha.  This newfangled stuff with polymers and thermoplastics, etc.etc.etc.

And why would you want a rotator anyway.  Just put up a few more
rhombics and add a few positions to your antenna switch. Or, if you
must, rotate the tower using a rope and pulley arrangement.

Jim,W6RMK