[TowerTalk] Computer RFI

K8RI on TowerTalk K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Nov 22 23:53:29 EST 2006

ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

>That depends on the computer power setup. Some keyboards and mice
>remain on so you can bring the computer out of standby by pressing a
>key or moving the mouse.

True.  This is what is known as "sleep mode" and is quite different from the
off mode.
Sleep mode is sorta, kinda, similar to the screen saver mode and when turned
on is usually set to kick in a bit after the system goes into screen saver
mode.  In sleep mode there are a number of options which may vary from
computer to computer.  In sleep mode the CPU *usually* remains running but
at a greatly reduced speed and functionality.  The drives may or may not
power down depending on settings, fans may or may not shut down, but usually
do except for the CPU fan. IOW the computer has gone to sleep with only
minimal sustaining life signs. A sleeping computer can be awakened by
keyboard, mouse, USB,  and usually network input. (The CPU has to be running
to be able to poll these inputs) This is really handy for a remote storage
computer that you may need for backups a couple of times a night, but
otherwise it really doesn't need to be running. However you don't want it to
ask for the PW locally when it awakens if your back up computer is 200 or
300 feet away through deep snow.<:-))

When the computer is off it is not sleeping. It's *almost* but not quite
dead.  Unless unplugged or turned off the power supply is at least partially
on and supplying *some* power to the motherboard.  The on/off switch
initiates a logic sequence on the motherboard that turns on the rest of the
power supply and the full motherboard functions.  The on/off switch is a
momentary switch connected to the motherboard usually along with the HD
light, power light, speaker, reset, and a couple other functions. OTOH the
on/off switch on the PS is in the mains and it shuts the AC power off to the
supply.  Some *really* cheap power supplies do not have that on/off switch
but I've not seen one in years.

>I haven't had this problem, but I'd think you could unplug the
>keyboard and/or mouse to check if they are the source.

Good points.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)

Bill, W6WRT